Pack as much or as little as you prefer or let Tydans Moving do the whole job, or any part of the packing job for you.
Whatever you decide, we want the moving process to go as stress free as possible.
We hope that these packing tips will help.
Prepare for your move
Here are a few suggestions.
- Pack items first that you don’t use often.
- Start packing as soon as you find out you’re moving and place the taped & labeled boxes near open doorways.
- Never pack flammable items or non-allowable items.
- Use generous amounts of bunched paper inside the boxes on the top and bottom to provide good cushioning.
- List contents of box and which room it came from or which room it will go to on the outside of each carton.
- Clearly mark “Fragile” on the outside of glass or fragile cartons.
- Use clean unprinted newsprint paper. Old newspapers may work, but use them carefully because the ink may rub off onto your items.
- Clean "unprinted newsprint” paper is available at Tydans Moving and can be easily ordered by phone.
- Write “Open First” on cartons containing essential items such as cooking utensils, toiletries, etc.
- Separate breakables and non-breakables.
- Pack all cartons tightly, tape them on top and put no more than 50 lbs MAX in each box.
- Use professional packing tape. Masking tape isn’t strong enough to support fully packed cartons.
Remember that Boxes and Packing tape
are a phone call away!
Tydans Moving has all the materials you will need to properly pack your belongings. Unprinted newsprint, boxes of all sizes, polyvinyl packing tape, dispensers, bubble wrap and more.
China and Dishes
Carefully wrap china and dishes in sheets of clean unprinted newsprint in a Small or Med box. Place newsprint paper in bundles in the bottom of a box for cushioning. Wrap each piece individually with a double layer of paper. Place these bundled items in the carton between unprinted newsprint bundles.
Surround each item with crushed paper, being careful to leave no unfilled spaces. Add two or three inches of crushed paper between and on top of the china to protect rims and make a level base for the next tier. Check box weight frequently. Smaller plates, saucers and shallow bowls can make up a second layer or can be fillers for the gaps. Wrap and pack in the same way with larger items.
Stemware and glasses
Stemware and glasses are individually wrapped with unprinted newsprint inserted into the glass and around the stem and glass. Each glass is cushioned by a thick wrapping of bundled newsprint and then placed stem up or bottom up in a Med. 3.1cf box labeled "FRAGILE GLASS".
Soft Items and Bedding
Soft items like pillows, towels and bedding are packed in LARGE 4.5cf cartons or XL 6.0cf cartons separated by layers of clean unprinted newspaper where needed.
Pack shoes in a Small or Med 3.1 cf box if shoeboxes are not available, individually wrap them for cleanliness and to prevent abrasive damage.
Closet clothes are left on hangers and hung in special wardrobe cartons. Clothes in dressers and Bureaus are packed in Medium 3.1 cf cartons. (you should always pack & empty your dressers)
Lamp Shades and Bases
Surround the shade with protective paper. Shades can be nested inside each other, as long as they fit well and are separated by paper. Use a Med or Large or XL carton depending on the lamp shade size.
Stereos, Computers and other electronics
If possible, pack electronics in their original cartons. As long as proper packing materials are used (bubble wrap, unprinted newsprint, comforters, blankets, pillows, etc.), electronics can be safely packed in sturdy Medium sized 3.0cf boxes.
- Start by padding the bottom of the carton with a generous amount of packing material.
- Wrap item with paper and place in carton.
- Tightly pack padding or bundled paper around and on top of the unit to prevent damage.
- Firmly seal the carton.
- Label the carton as “Fragile – Top Load.” Remember to write VCR, DVD, COMPUTER, etc... for easier set up in your new home.
Note: When you unpack your electronics, let them reach room temperature before plugging them in.
Lay books flat in the carton, alternating the spine and open side of the book. Because books are heavy, we advise using the 1.5 cf SMALL book carton to make them easier to carry. You can also place a sheet of paper between each book for cleanliness.
Figurines / Nic Nac's / Glass / Bottles
Wrap statues and figurines with bubble wrap or unprinted newsprint snuggly. Place in a Medium 3.0 cf size box. Be sure to use loose bundles of paper in all corners of the box and in between each wrapped item so that nic-nacs and glass items are adequately cushioned. Bottles with liquid should be placed in a plastic bag before wrapping for extra safety.
Mirrors, Pictures, Paintings and Glass
Wrap the item in a generous cushion of clean paper or bubble wrap. Place in a flattened mirror or picture box. Carefully tape and seal the carton. You may need 1 to 4 boxes to completely cover the item depending on it's size. Always stand glass, pictures and mirrors on their edge. Do not lay flat.
PLEASE CALL TYDANS MOVING WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. WE ARE ALWAYS HAPPY TO HELP YOU.